-->

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Instagram: Do It Right, or Don't Do It At All

To the makers of this image, I applaud you wholehearted and thank you so freaking much:


Unpopular opinion: Instagram is atrocious.

Trust me, as soon as I got my first smart phone, and was looking at the app collection, I too was attracted to this "photography" app that had a collection of filters that could make my images look all vintage-y. Our society is OBSESSED with it, and it's gotten out of control. 

Yeah, you could make the point that since I am mostly a digital photographer, I would hate for my medium to become obsolete and replaced with phones. But that's never going to happen. But what is actually happening is that our culture (mainly girls, but I've seen plenty of guys as well) are now just so attracted to the cutesy, the fake-shutter sounding click, the weird-ass color combinations that exist, and the fact that everyone is using the same what? 10-12 filters? 

It's not original. And even if you have a good eye for photography, slapping a yellowish-pink tint to it isn't going to make it any more accepted in the art world. I hope to be struck down dead if someday when I'm interviewing young artists for jobs that their porfolios contain instagram shots.

I'm not saying that people can't make great art with phones. There are already photo shows up across the county displaying just that, and they're GORGEOUS. But Instagram is just ruining the beauty and mystery of photography. If you got oddly-color shots, it's because you had a light leak, or it was probably Polaroid film -- something that is nearly obsolete these days unless you buy them for 500% their cost at Urban Outfitters. 

I guess I'm just saying this: THINK before the next time you take a picture of your cup at Starbucks, your feet as you watch TV, or YOUR FREAKING COMPUTER SCREEN. Think of how stupid you're looking.

And for all you Instagram lovers: COME AT ME, BRO.


No comments:

Post a Comment