-->

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Inspiration Thursday #6: Sandy Skoglund

Funny story before tonight's Inspiration Thursday Post: 

I was meandering around my local Barnes & Nobles (I think they're pretty spread out, but if you don't know what that is, it's a bookstore chain) and I was looking in the very small and sickly looking photography section. This is to be expected: the books were half ripped open and traditional coffee table style. They had the usual "stereotypical" books, Ansel Adams, LIFE Magazine, Annie Leibowitz (who I love dearly but she is such... I don't know.) In any case, I was truly disappointed. But then I laughed, because right beside the "Alfred Eisenstadt: Classic Photography" book were these books that caught my eye. One book was dedicated solely to photos of wet men. Like, men that were drench with water. How conceptual! The other was The Big Book of Breasts.

So obviously B&N has captured the audience of all ages: from boys in middle school ... to divorcees. Kudos, B&N, for perhaps having the crappiest selection of photography books I have ever witnessed. (Though you must admit that I was probably quite a sight -- imagine a girl of college age sitting on the floor of your local B&N, flipping through page after page of titties. I'm sure the hipster sitting across from me was mortified.)

----

But with that aside, one of the few artists I DID notice was Sandy Skoglund. I have been a long time admirer of her elaborate scenes and sculptures. The photos I'm about to show... it must be known that there is no photoshop in these photos. There is no color altering or anything. She's had a long career, but I'm pretty sure these are what she's best known for.


The use of sculptural animals, the entire usage of a space, the two-color scheme, the anonymity of the figures... simply stunning.


As an artist who focuses on not only creating a portrait, or a feeling, but a scene, another world -- it is her level of work and dedication that she puts into each photo that revitalizes my yearning to be a photographer.


You can view her website here

What do you think? Too over the top or beautifully composed? Let me know in a comment!


1 comment:

  1. The goldfish picture was used by the UK band Inspiral Carpets on their 3rd album Revenge of the Goldfish.

    ReplyDelete