-->

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Meine Berliner Familie


I have been feeling a little uneasy lately. Maybe it's because of certain circumstances in my life, maybe it's because the end of the semester always carries some kind of emotion. I received a package yesterday from Germany, and I cannot express how happy it made me. My uneasiness quickly turned to reminiscing about my short study-abroad in Berlin, Germany a few years ago now.

I stayed with Juergen and Hanne, both of whom were pharmacists, and their teenage daughter, Clara. They were seriously the sweetest people I could have ever asked for as hosts. Every morning they made sure I ate before I left, and within 3 weeks I had become fully accustomed to walking to the U-bahn. I felt like I lived there, and their neighborhood was so quaint and lovely. I had the time of my life, and when I left they said I could come back any time. (Had I not bought my ticket home already, I would have stayed longer.)

In any case, I received this package from them yesterday. Made my day -- no, made my week.








The card reads, "Dear Cassie, We wish you and your family a happy Christmas and a ... (I can't read his writing!) and interesting new year! We miss you and hope you are doing well! Your Berlin Family, Hanne, Juergen, and Clara." So much candy! Knoppers are so good... and a Milke Santa? Simply divine.

For anyone who is curious, I took German in highschool and into my freshmen year of college (then studied abroad that first summer into college.) When I transferred, I had to cut back because the German class schedule was so intense, but I'm hoping to finish my minor before I graduate.

Tell me how your week is going in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment